Sunday, April 6, 2008

Caramelized Espresso Frappe

I don't like to fork over a ton of money for something I can make inexpensively myself. This frappe recipe uses low-fat milk and is exceptional because of the caramelized sugar syrup's toasty flavor. I've served this as a fun drink when a friend comes for a play date, and I've served it to friends who don't like desserts. Of course, I get to share some as well, so I try to look for more excuses to make it--especially when it gets hot down here in the South! Here is the recipe with my two thumbs up! Oh yes, I usually double the coffee cubes and the caramelized sugar mixture. More for later!

1/2 cup boiling water
1 tsp instant espresso (or 2 tsp instant coffee)
1/4 cup sugar
1/4 cup water, divided
1 cup milk, skim is fine
1/4 cup hot cocoa mix, something I always keep on hand!
1 cup crushed ice, check out this hand-crank ice crusher

Combine boiling water and espresso; stir until coffee dissolves. Pour into an ice cube tray; freeze 4 hours or until firm. (I double this!)

Stir sugar and 2 TBSP water in a small heavy saucepan until sugar dissolves. Over med-high heat, cook 8-10 minutes (with only an occasional stir) or until mixture is a deep golden brown. Remove from heat; carefully stir in 2 TBSP hot water with a whisk. WARNING: Mixture will bubble vigorously. Let cool. (Again, I double this!)

Combine caramelized sugar, milk, and cocoa mix in a bliender; process until well-blended. With blender on, add coffee ice cubes, 1 at a time; process until smooth. Add crushed ice; process until smooth. Serve immediately. Yield: 2-1/2 cups (serving size: 1/2 cup).